PROGRAM PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
The Alcohol and Drug Free Workplace Program of Goodwill Staffing Services was established to maintain a productive, secure, safe, and healthy environment for all employees. Through this program, Goodwill Staffing Services intends to:
- Communicate the risks and dangers associated with casual and long term substance abuse;
- Take all reasonable steps necessary to protect the safety of our employees while maintaining a high level of productivity and quality service;
- Help eliminate substance abuse in our workplace and assist employees to seek help in dealing with abuse problems;
- Reduce the rate of accidents in the workplace.
This program will apply to all applicants for employment and Goodwill Staffing Services employees.
This program provides for the testing of applicants for employment for the use of drugs through a pre-employment drug test as required for certain job assignments.>
Employees will be tested for the use of drugs and/or alcohol under the following conditions:
- Reasonable Suspicion
- Follow Up Random, if needed.
Employees will be paid for the time needed to comply with testing when required by Goodwill Staffing Services Applicants for employment will not be compensated for the time needed to comply with testing. Urine specimens will be tested for the presence of drugs. Alcohol testing will be performed using an evidential breath testing device. Goodwill Staffing Services reserves the right to require blood alcohol testing for reasonable suspicion and post accident. All drug and alcohol testing will be carried out in compliance with Maryland law. Specimens will be tested by a NIDA certified laboratory.
Any employee who alters or attempts to alter, substitute or contaminate a drug and/or alcohol specimen will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
This program provides for the testing of employees for the use of drugs and/or alcohol when a supervisor has a reasonable suspicion that the employee is unfit for duty or has used or is using chemical substances prohibited under this program.
If a supervisor has reason to believe that an employee is impaired, as evidenced by such behaviors or indicators as mood swings, odor of alcohol, slurred speech, poor coordination, bloodshot/glassy eyes, a "Report of Reasonable Suspicion Incident" form must be completed immediately following the observation of suspicious behavior. This report will fully document the supervisor's observations. The report must be completed before an employee can be sent for testing. Specimen collection must be done as soon as possible following the completion of the report. If an employee is requested to submit to a drug and/or alcohol test, a consent form must be completed. An employee's refusal to comply with the testing procedure will be cause for immediate termination. Any employee required to submit to testing will be suspended without pay until the results of the testing are obtained. If the drug test results are negative and/or the breath alcohol test is reported as less than 0.02, the employee
will receive pay for scheduled hours not worked while suspended. Goodwill Staffing Services may require documentation from an appropriate professional regarding the employee's condition before allowing the employee to return to work.
If the employee leaves the worksite driving a vehicle, the supervisor may notify the police that he/she has reason to believe the employee may be driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
An employee who tests positive for drugs and/or alcohol will be required to submit to follow-up testing. Follow-up testing may be required for up to five years after the employee's return to work. A positive result on any follow-up drug and or alcohol test will result in disciplinary action up to, and including, termination.
1. The improper manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, sale, transfer, purchase or use of chemical substances, including alcohol, on Goodwill Staffing Services property (which includes but is not limited to, Goodwill Staffing Services worksites, parking lots, and vehicles) or during working hours, including rest and meal periods, is considered misconduct and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
2. Employees must notify Goodwill Staffing Services of any criminal drug or alcohol statute conviction within five (5) days of such conviction. Failure to do so may be considered misconduct and result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
3. No prescription drugs will be brought onto company property by any employee other than the employee for whom it is prescribed. Medications must be carried in the prescription container. The use of prescription drugs will be according to the manner and quantity prescribed. Employees on physician prescribed medicine must notify their supervisor if there is a possibility the medication could affect job performance. Goodwill Staffing Services may refuse to allow the employee to work unless the employee stops taking the medicine: a) until the effects will not be experienced during the employee's working hours; or b) upon presenting a note from the prescribing physician stating there are no adverse side effects from taking the prescription which would impair the employee's ability to perform his/her job safely. Failure to do so will be considered misconduct and may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
4. No drug and/or alcohol test will be conducted without an employee's consent. However, refusal to consent will result in disciplinary action up to, and including, termination.
5. A tested employee will be informed of the name and address of the lab upon request, and may request independent testing at the employee's expense. Any employee who tests positive will be provided with a copy of the lab test results, a copy of this written policy, a written notice of disciplinary action, and Test results will be kept confidential and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis.
I, the undersigned, acknowledge receipt of a copy of this alcohol & drug free workplace program to keep.